A condemned house is a property that a government entity has determined is not safe to live in. In most cases, condemning a house is triggered by a pattern of unsafe housing code violations. No one is allowed to live in a condemned building unless the cited problems are fixed. If the problems are not corrected on time, the occupants will be forced to move.
Why Might a House Get Condemned?
There are several reasons a house might be determined to be unsafe to live in. These include:
- Structural issues
- Serious termite damage
- Crumbling infrastructure
- Unsafe materials used when the home was built
- Extensive damages caused by weather catastrophes or fire
- Unsanitary living conditions
- Pest infestation
- Build up of human or animal waste
- Sewer issues
- Extremely poor upkeep
- Non-functional utilities
- Black mold
Is It Possible to Save a Condemned House?
Fortunately, in most cases, it is possible to address the condemned status of your property. As a homeowner, you have the right to negotiate a rehabilitation or a repair agreement with a housing authority. However, repair costs are the main factors that will be taken into consideration. If the costs are higher than 50% of the house’s value, the city has the right to raze the building. If a homeowner does not want to move out, the city can still condemn the property at the homeowner’s expense.
In order to save a building and reverse the condemned status, a homeowner has to make all the requested repairs and then pass an inspection. If the inspection is successful, the house will be considered livable again.
How Can You Sell a Condemned House?
If you want to sell a condemned house, here are the options:
- Make all the necessary repairs to make the house livable again. Once everything is fixed, and the house is renovated, it will have to pass a home inspection. If it is successful, the house will not be considered condemned anymore and can be sold like any other property.
- Sell your home to a home investor. The best thing about this option is that you do not have to make any renovations or repairs. Home investment companies are ready to purchase a property as-is because they will do repairs and renovations themselves later anyway. It is a perfect option for those who want to save money and time.
Sell Your Condemned Home Fast to We Buy Houses Tulsa
If you own a condemned property in Tulsa, OK, that you want to sell without having to make repairs, We Buy Houses Tulsa is ready to help you. We are local buyers who buy properties in any condition and in any neighborhood. We do not expect you to do any repairs or even clean. We are ready to buy your home in its current condition, even if it has a condemned status. The home-sale process with us is fast and easy — you just need to visit our website, fill out the form, and wait for our phone call. We will call you within 24 hours and schedule a viewing of your property, after which you will receive a cash offer. You can either accept or deny it. It is up to you. Call us today at 918-739-6777.